Complaints Procedure

Assisted Services

Our Complaints Procedure

Our Service Users have access to many different ways of making a complaint and are advised what action will be taken in response to any individual complaints.

Service Users, family and/or representatives should always feel able to complain and feel confident that their complaint will be dealt with in a positive manner.

We recommend that Service Users who wish to complain about the service received from Assistance in Care Services follow the steps listed below and if possible discuss the problem with the Care Manager who will do their best to resolve the problem quickly to their satisfaction. Complaints can be made in person, in writing or by telephone and should be addressed to the Care Manager.

Receipt of complaints received in this manner will be confirmed in writing and logged in the main office which will detail the following basic information:

  • Which service the complaint is about
  • What happened
  • Where and when it happened
  • Who was involved
  • What the Service User expectations are

Service Users will receive an acknowledgement within two working days of lodging their complaint. All investigations will be recorded and Service Users updated regularly as to the progress of the investigation. Any action to be taken will be discussed and agreed with the Service User where appropriate. The Care Manager should endeavour to resolve all complaints within 28 days.

The Service User may wish to ask a friend or relative to write out the complaint which, if possible, should be signed by the Service User. Alternatively, if the Service User is comfortable with this, the Care Manager can help the Service User to put the complaint in writing. The Service User will be given a copy so that it can be agreed that it is an accurate account before it is signed.

If the Service User feels unhappy about making the complaint directly and they do not know someone who is prepared to advise the service of their complaint, you may wish to complain via an advocate.

The Fife Advocacy Forum can offer help and advice when taking this route.

Fife Advocacy Forum

C/O Dunfermline Advocacy Initiative
2 Halbeath Road
KY12 7QX
Tel: 01383 624382


Any Service User also always has the option to seek advice directly from the Local Authority or the Industry Regulator in Scotland, the Care Inspectorate. Contact details for both are as follows:

Fife Council

Social Work Department
Rothesay House
Rothesay Place
Tel: 01383 441177

Care Inspectorate

Compass House
11 Riverside Drive
Tel: 0845 600 9527

If you have been through the complaints procedure and you don’t feel your complaint has been fully resolved, and your care is funded or arranged by your Local Authority, you can ask that the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman looks into the matter. The SPSO will not usually investigate a complaint until the Care Inspectorate has had an opportunity to resolve the issue.

The SPSO provides a free, independent service. Service User can contact the SPSO Advice Team for information and advice, or register their complaint on:

Scottish Public Services Ombudsman

Tel: 0800 377 7330

Get In Touch

1 Pentland House, Pentland Park, Saltire Centre, Glenrothes, KY6 2AH